Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thoughts on SuperSlow Weight Training

Recently I've been hearing people wax poetic on SuperSlow weight training. Basically, you are doing REALLY slow reps, we're talking 10 seconds up and 10 seconds down, for a nearly 2-5 min set.

I was going to write a blog about SuperSlow training, talking about the claims it makes and seeing what the science says.

I just can't bring myself to read about it enough to write a well written article. So we'll go straight to my thoughts on it.

There is merit to occasionally doing slow negatives for hypertrophy, but if that's what compromises the whole of your programming, you're only going to get so strong. A well rounded athlete needs variety, and if you never move fast, you'll never be fast. You'll never be athletic.

Hard effort does not equate good effort.

If all you're worried about is not getting injured, fine. But that's not the route to optimal health.

No. I don't have references. But if you've studied muscle types and metabolic processes enough it's common sense. Granted, my world is the world of strength and conditioning with emphasis on strength. My primary goal isn't to make you look good naked, it's to get you healthier, stronger, and faster and to reap the aesthetic rewards that follow suit.

/rant

No comments:

Post a Comment