Monday, October 28, 2013

Taking Up Space: A Weightlifting Feminist Rant

" a fugitive stealing calories to which she does not feel entitled..."




How many women out there feel like they have to earn the food they eat?

How many of you feel this unseen pressure to be smaller? Not just have a healthy body, but to be diminutive?

If you actively reject that, have you experienced comments on it?

This video spoke to me, particularly the part about stealing calories in the night. I know too many women who eat with shame when they have nothing to be ashamed about. And the more you equate food with morality, the harder it is to see it as fuel and health. As I've spoken about before, even I fall into that mindfuck when trying to diet down for competition.

I'm lucky to be as head strong as I am. Despite a beginning in ballet, I was able to shake off the notion of "be thin"to "be awesome" and awesome for me is to be as strong, fast, and athletically muscled as possible.

Do a Google search for "take up space feminism" to see how women are pressured to be small and to NOT take up too much space. Many perspectives written much more eloquently than I ever could.

Finding your version of healthy and fit is a feminist issue. You will find people in every corner trying to make that decision for you.

I want to leave you with this last thought:

Gender norms are for people who are neither smart enough nor creative enough to create their own normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment