Monday, December 15, 2014

Nutrition Resources

As I mentioned in my last post, many people have come to ask me about my nutrition coaching, how I like it, how I feel, and ask if they should also look into nutrition coaching.

My answer is usually along the lines of:

I'm doing this because I'm older now and trying to squeeze a few more competitive years out of myself. I think I have my training dialed in pretty well, and the only stumbling block left is my nutrition. And much like programming, it's so much easier to have someone else just tell you what to do and hold you accountable rather than try to figure it out yourself and cheat yourself.

That said, if you're a casual exerciser, not competitive, you probably don't need to drop the money on a nutrition coach just like you probably don't need to drop the money on a sport specific coach. So, here are the resources I think everyone should look into:

1) Eat To Perform

At eattoperform.com, there is a blog, a forum for people to bounce ideas around, a members-only area, and (this is important) a calorie and macros calculator to help you get started on your If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) journey.

They also have an e-book out that I think is really good and can help you get the information down in a concise manner, rather than digging through all the blog posts and forums. If you join as a member, there are admins in the forums that can help you get started with macros calculations and tweaks based on your data and experiences.

They are definitely more Paleo driven than my other resources, which makes some people very happy, and people like me kind of roll my eyes. Irregardless of your stance on Paleo and "clean eating", it's a good place to start.


2) Renaissance Periodization

I've actually not followed their blog, but I know a few people who have been working with them and have gotten great results. I've started reading their e-book (got side tracked) and everything so far is super solid. The book isn't on their website, but you can get it through JTS by clicking here.

Dr. Mike Israetel, who I think is the head honcho at RP, has a lecture series on YouTube that I think is just great, click here to watch.

The only possible downside is that the one athlete I've talked to about her diet specifics says she is FUCKING SICK OF RICE, but I don't know if they are of the "clean eating" camp or if that is part of her personalized plan. Either way, it's basically IIFYM, and they will break up to what your macros should looks like for each meal.


3) Alan Aragon's Research Review

If you enjoy the science behind nutrition and training research (and I mean real research, not just Googling something), this review is a great introduction to the science behind it and how it's all progressing. It's $10 a month, a new review is posted every month, and with membership you also get access to all of the back issues.

You can find a free sample of the AARR HERE.

Each review has a comprehensive over view of new research that has come out, noting the results, strengths, and weaknesses of each study, also pointing out how results to translate to real world use. There are also guest authors who write about training, diet protocols, or more basic health things such as "What celebrities do and don't understand about nutrition."


4) Get Coached! 

Okay, so you've looked at all the resources here. You've laid out your macros according to various calculators, but you can't seem to get yourself to stick to it. Or maybe you sabotage yourself when doing the calculations because of inherent biases you hold. Go ahead and get a coach!

Obviously I'm a big fan of Joy Victoria, as I've been working with her for close to two months now and feel great for it! You can access her contact information HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment