Monday, March 12, 2012

Fast Breakfast: Poached Eggs and Bacon (done)

Nice paper on how saturated fat DOES NOT correlate to heart disease.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

And in celebration of that, here is what I eat for breakfast at least three times a week: lots of saturated fat!

I love poached eggs. The runny yolks to dip bacon, sausage, asparagus, or whatever into. Plus, they are super fast to make. For most breakfasts I make two poached eggs and two strips of thick cut bacon.

Remember to collect your bacon grease to use for cooking other meats and vegetables in! Also, you never pour animal fats down the sink. Collect it, let it cool, and when the container is full, throw it away. (Good use for all those nut canisters we paleo people end up with.)

For poached eggs, people seem to think this process harder than it is.

1) Simmering water. I turn my stove up to full heat, then back down to 6. (If your oven goes to 11, adjust accordingly.)
2) Stir the water into a whirlpool and drop the eggs into the center of the whirlpool. I'll cook 2-4 eggs at a time this way.
3) Simmer for three minutes. Trust the timer. Every time I've gone over, the yolk gets cooked to some degree.
4) Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs.
5) Eat them! (With the bacon, of course.)

It's an easy and quick and filling breakfast I make most mornings, and scaling up for ManFriend doesn't add any extra time.

1 comment:

  1. NPR had a meat and bacon condemning story today that made me angry. This post makes me happy again.

    ReplyDelete